Thursday, April 13, 2006

Candyman




Set in the ghetto of Chicago, this intense horror film took me totally by surprise with it's quality. After a couple murders have happened without a suspect, people begin to believe "the Candyman", a supernatural killer with a bloody-stump-hook-hand and a voice deeper than a league is responsible for the grusome murders. When an a rich, ivy league student is writing a thesis on urban legends, she interviews believers in the Candyman's power. While through the process she brushes it off as silly folklore, she learns that there's more to the story than she thought. So many creepy visuals will stay with you long after it's ended. NOT for the squemish, but right up your ally if you like blood and quality scares. Oh yeah, don't watch this right before bed. I, um, learned that the hard way. (*** out of ****)

1 comment:

Gorky said...

This movie is also camp horror classic. I give it a great rating because it's story is probibly familiar to anyone growing up in the 80's. Of couse the story for us real people was that of Bloody Mary. If you said it into the mirror - in the dark of course - 3 times she came out and killed you. At the time the stories circulated, it was said that Bloody Mary was either the decapitated Queen or Jesus's Mother. 3 is an important number in the bible and the queen got her head chopped off, so I don't know it's actual originality. I just know that it scared a constipated shat out of me at the time (I must have been around 6). This movie revived the legend in a different name and to this day I will not say Any name in the mirror 3 times in the dark least I be killed.

P.S. Watch out, the treehouse is on fire!