Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dead Alive




There are many different words to describe this New Zealand cult classic- Funny, bloody and ridiculous just to name a few. But there's not that one special word to sum it all up. It's reputation as being the goriest film of all time is definately something not many can contridict. It's make-up effects are some of the best you can see. Director Peter Jackson uses heavy tounge-in-cheek techniques to play down the over-the-top gore, which make for some hysterical scenes (Remember the photobook.). While there are of course some pretty silly, and somtimes stupid, moments, this is overall loads of fun. (***1/2 out of ****)

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'd give this one 3.5/5. I love the over the top frenetic nature of it. A prime example of the splatter horror sub-genre.

Gorky said...

3.5 my Great Aunt Gwenney's sweet buttocks! This SO deserves a 5 out of 4. This is THE quintessisial (not really sure what that means - heard it somewhere) movie - of the CENTURY! Peter Jackson's Masterpeice! Take that and shove it Lord of the Rings! (actually, I liked LOTR, even though I Soooooo laughed at the jokes about it in Clerks II!). Even though there were No midget people (no matter what you've heard) the GORE is fantastic! T.V. movie quality perhaps, but this movie helped me break up with my Horror Hating Ex. I mean really; if you don't like this movie, you deserve to die!

Update: Charges still Pending. Funeral on Friday.

P.S. - U.H.F. is another way of saying I Love You. (Weird Al, you make me gawfaw!)

Anonymous said...

5 out of 4 ?????

no man !!!!

200% pure gore (1992 style)
and this not just because i'm a die hard jackson's fan but it brought a new genre of gore & guts....
Just check Timothy Balme (Lionel) on The Tattooist.....

Some things won't stay down... even after they die.