Saturday, January 20, 2007

Cabin Fever


This debut film from Hostel director Eli Roth wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but my expectations were so low that that's not really saying much. While I like Roth alot as a person, I just wasn't too crazy about this film. When I was at Wal-Mart one day with a few dollars in my purse and the compulsive shopper in me took over (which it so often does), I decided to buy this on DVD. Seeing it was in the bargain bin for only $5, I didn't think it would be any big loss if the movie was terrible. I wasn't, well, completely wrong I guess. We have a group of rowdy teenagers stay at a cabin to drink, fornicate, smoke pot and drop f-bombs in every other sentence. Hmmmm, five young people going into the woods, sound familiar? Oh my gosh it's Evil Dead!! One night after the "weed", a sickly man comes to the door all bloodied and weak. The crew decides to lock him out of the hut, which doesn't seem to sit too well with him. He becomes Hostel (hahahaha) and spills blood all over the crew's truck. "So totally disgusted", they beat him with bats and even set him afire. While the human fireball runs back into the woods, the friends feel guilty and scarred that they've killed him. Wow, that sounds familiar too doesn't it? Oh my gosh, it's I Know What You Did Last Summer!! Little do the children know that there is an infection in the drifter's blood, and those who come in contact with it are taken over by the disease themselves. With the striking similarities to the two films I mentioned, I think maybe the credits should have read "directed by Eli Roth, Sam Raimi, and Jim Gillespie". Definately nothing more than a teen slasher flick with the usual mix of alcohol, boobs and noogie. But at least it doesn't take itself too seriously, which is something about Mr. Eli Whitney...um I mean Eli Roth's directing I did respect. While it was an alright way to spend a boring Friday night, I couldn't help but think to myself "at least I'm not watching "The Hills Have Eyes". (* 1/2 out of ****)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm giving u some trivia.

Birth name
Eli Raphael Roth
Nickname
Gorilka

Got his idea for Cabin Fever when he was in Iceland and contracted a lesser case of the flesh-eating disease. The now infamous shaving-legs scene in the bath tub is based on when Roth shaved his face and layers of skin came off while having the disease.
Suffers from Psoriasis, a genetic, non-contagious skin disorder, which can have crippling effects. When Roth suffered his first attack at age 22, his skin was cracked and bleeding so badly that he could not walk or wear clothes. He based many of the events in "Cabin Fever" on his own skin-curdling experiences.

:)

Gorky said...

Did not know that, but very interesting julio. I saw this in the theatre in Orlando - when I lived there. It was packed. Interesting to me at the time was it was getting four out of four stars from the major critics; Even the Orlando Sentinal which was notorious for ripping movies apart. A rarity for a Horror movie. I wasn't dissapointed, but this movie did Not remain a momentious occasion. I forgot about it (unlike say polterguist) soon afterward. I bought it recently, like our heroine Sarah, in the 5 dollar bin. Still haven't seen it again, but now I do think it's time. This was definatly one of the better horrors of recent times ( but not scary Horror, more like an extended x-files').

P.S. Thinking of layers of skin comeing off makes me hungry for pizza~!

Sarah said...

Hey Julio, didn't Eli talk about that in the 30 Scariest Movie Moments special on Bravo? That made me laugh LOL!!

PS- oh my gosh I'm a heroine!! :D

Anonymous said...

Flick Chick - I see "alot" in a lot of your reviews. There is NO such word. It's two words - "a lot." There are no exceptions. Please stop doing that! Enjoying the reviews, however. :)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.